The artist retains all rights to all drawings the artist draws for private commissions.
Artist's rights may include:
- Reproducing the own art for a portfolio
- Posting the art on social media
- Selling printed reproductions of the art.
The commissioner retains all rights to their intellectual property and original characters. The artist will not sell reproductions featuring other people's characters without their explicit consent.
If the commissioner 1) does not wish for the commission to be posted publicly online 2) wishes to remain anonymous, or 3) does not wish for the art to be reproduced in print, they must alert the artist before the commission is completely approved. There may be an additional fee for commissions that will not be posted publically.
Commissioner's personal use rights include:
- Using the art as an icon, banner, or in a gallery page.
- Reposting a commission online if they credit the artist as @skumsuck on social media, or by linking to the artist's webpage at scumsuck.com.
- Reproducing the art in physical form for personal use, such as on single pieces of phone cases or art prints.
- Making minor edits to the art on their own time, such as resizing or drawing over the art. The artist takes no responsibility for the client's edits after the commission is done.
Commissioner's personal use rights exclude:
- Selling physical or digital copies of the art
- Using the art for commercial media, such as games, music, and movies.
- Using the art in relation to NFTs
- Printing the art as mass-produced merchandise.
The commissioner not reproduce my personal commission art for commercial purposes without purchasing commercial usage rights. Should the commissioner wish to use my art for commercial purposes or commercial media (such as album art, comic covers, and concept art), they must discuss a commercial license with the artist beforehand.
"Mass-produced merchandise" is defined as more than one (1) piece of merchandise that goes beyond personal use, such as selling stickers, shirts, and other items featuring SCUMSUCK's art. The commmissioner may not resell the original artwork for a higher price, such as in the cases of adoptables and re-selling characters.
Commercial usage rights must be discussed with the artist before the art is used for such purposes. Commercial rights will incur an additional fee.
The above lists of personal rights inclusions and exclusions are non-exhaustive and may be edited at any time.